VERSES: Matthew 4:18-22
MEMORY VERSE: Matthew 4:19 "And he said unto them, "Follow me, and I will make you fishers of men."
BOOK TO REMEMBER: Galatians. Write "Galatians" on small slips of paper and hand out to the students at the end of class.
PRAYER: Pray that we follow Jesus with our whole heart as His disciples did.
SPECIAL SONG: Jesus Called Them One By One (see June 2015 - Songs We Sing In Bible Class #7 and Jesus Loves The Little Children (see February - Songs We Sing In Bible Class #2 on this blog). Click on orange circles to hear tunes.
VISUAL AID: Large Activity (see below)
- As Jesus went about doing good (Acts 10:38), he
- Jesus was walking down by the Sea of Galilee and saw two brothers, Simon Peter and Andrew, throwing a net into the sea because they were fishermen. Jesus said to both of them, "Follow me, and I will make you fishers of men." When Jesus said this to them, both of them immediately left their nets and followed Jesus.
- Going down a little father down the beach, Jesus saw two more brothers: James and John who were sons of a man named Zebedee. They were mending their fishing nets because they were fishermen, too! When Jesus called them to follow Him, they immediately left their nets and their father and followed Jesus.
- These were only four of Jesus' disciples, later we will study about what we know about the other disciples.
"Older Student" Tips:
- Jesus did not call all twelve of His disciples at one time. There was a little time between calling them.
ACTIVITY: Peter, Andrew, James and John
Materials needed: 9" x 12" dark blue construction paper, 6" x 12" tan construction paper, scrap paper: light brown paper, white paper, 5" x 7 orange paper, tape, scissors, crayons, marker.
- Hand out blue paper.
- Hand out tan paper.
- Tear top edge of tan paper.
- Glue tan paper to the bottom of blue paper. This is the beach.
- Fold both paper in half like a book with tan paper on the outside.
- Open paper.
- Turn blue/tan paper over.
- Hand out orange paper.
- Fold orange paper to make a pocket.
- Tape orange paper to one side of the solid blue paper.
- Write "Matthew 4:18-22" to the bottom of the orange paper.
- Turn paper over.
- Fold paper in half with the tan paper showing.
- Hand out scraps of light brown paper.
- Draw Peter, Andrew, James, and John from the side view.
- Draw Jesus from the back view.
- Cut characters out.
- Color characters.
- Write the names at the bottom of their clothing.
- Glue Peter and Andrew to one side of the tan and blue paper.
- Turn paper over.
- Glue James and John to the other side of the tan and blue paper.
- Draw lines to resemble nets on both sides (see picture).
- Hand out white scrap paper.
- Cut a medium-sized speech bubble.
- Write "Come and I will make you fishers of men."
- Glue speech bubble to Jesus head like He is talking.
- Jesus moves--do not glue anywhere. When not in action, Jesus is placed in orange pocket. When student is telling the story, Jesus moves from brothers to brothers.
- Place Jesus in pocket, fold paper in half before students take project home.