VERSES: Matthew 14:22-36; John 6:16-21
MEMORY VERSE: Matthew 14:25 "And in the fourth watch of the night Jesus went them, walking on the sea."
BOOK TO REMEMBER: Review all 27 books of the New Testament. Perhaps, it would help to sing The Books Of The New Testament (see March - Songs We Sing In Bible Class #3. Click on orange circle to hear tune.)
PRAYER: Pray that we might always trust the Lord.
SPECIAL SONG: Jesus Taught By Parable And Miracle (see March - Songs We Sing In Bible Class #4 on this blog. Click on orange circle to hear tune.)
VISUAL AID: TV Box See February - Visual Aids #1 for instructions and example.
- After Jesus had fed the five thousand, He told His disciples to get inside a ship, and to sail to the other side of the sea and they left Jesus behind. When Jesus had sent the crowds of people away, He went up to a mountain to pray. The sun had set and Jesus prayed to God by Himself.
- In the meantime, the disciples sailed across the water. When the men had rowed out about three to four miles in the middle of the sea, the wind was blowing hard. Towards morning, Jesus went to His disciples without a boat! Jesus walked on the water! When the disciples saw Him, they thought He was a spirit. They were afraid and cried out to Him, but immediately, Jesus spoke to them and said, "Be of good cheer; it is I; be not afraid."
- Peter, who was on the ship, answered Jesus by saying, "Lord, if it is you, let me come to you on the water." Jesus only said one word, "Come." When Peter was out of the ship, he walked on the water to go to Jesus, but when Peter saw that the wind was wild and stormy, he was afraid and began to sink. He cried out to Jesus, "Lord, save me!" Immediately, Jesus stretched out His hand and caught Peter and said to him, "O ye of little faith, why did you doubt?"
- When both Peter and Jesus got inside the ship, the wind suddenly stopped! Then all of the men who were in the ship came and worshiped Jesus. They all said to Jesus, "It is true. You are the Son of God!"
- When they landed on the shore of the Sea of Gennesaret, which was also called the Sea of Galilee, near the city of Capernaum, news traveled fast. When the men who lived there learned about Jesus healing people, they sent word to all the country around them and the sick and diseased were brought to Jesus to be healed. Some asked Jesus urgently and fervently only to touch the hem of His clothes and, when they did, they were healed, too. They had great faith!
"Older Student" Tips:
- Most people have heard that Jesus walked on water, but, actually, there were TWO people who walked on water! Jesus and Peter!
- In John's account, he said the men had rowed out 25 - 30 furlongs in the middle of the sea. A furlong equals .125 in miles. How many miles was the boat from where they had started? (no more than 3.75 miles)
ACTIVITY: Jesus Walks On The Water
Materials needed: 9" x 12" black construction paper, 7" x 12" dark blue construction paper, 4" x 9" dark brown construction paper, scraps of tan construction paper, glue, scissors, crayons.
- Hand out black paper.
- Hand out blue paper.
- Tear blue paper about 2" from one edge.
- Glue larger piece of blue paper on the bottom of the black paper.
- Place glue at the bottom of the smaller blue paper.
- Hand out dark brown paper.
- Cut dark brown paper into a boat.
- Draw lines on boat like wood.
- Draw, cut out and color Jesus and Peter, facing each other with at least one arm reaching for each other.
- Glue Peter in between blue papers like he is sinking.
- Glue Jesus catching Peter's hand on the outside of the smaller wave of water. Make sure he has shoes on, so it looks like He is walking on the water.
- Draw, cut out, and color a few small disciples.
- Glue small disciples in boat.
- Write "Jesus Walks On The Water" and "Matthew 14:22-55" and "John 6:16-21" on the blue paper.