MEMORY VERSE: Song of Solomon 2:4 "...his banner over me was love."
BOOK TO REMEMBER: Galatians. Write "Galatians" on small slips of paper and hand out at the end of class, so the students can take them home to memorize the new book.
PRAYER: May we always put God first in our lives in everything we do, even marriage.
SPECIAL SONG: Jesus Loves Me (see February - Songs We Sing In Bible Class #2 on this blog. Click on orange circle to hear tune.) The Family In God's Plan (see March - Songs We Sing In Bible Class #4 on this blog. Click on orange circle to hear tune.)
VISUAL AID: Whiteboard or chalkboard drawing of the three main characters.
- This lesson is a short introduction to the book of Song of Solomon, a simple and quick overview. Because the lesson is short, perhaps more time could be used in reciting the books of the Bible, Old Testament and New Testament books, or even a review of the Songs We Sing In Bible Class on this blog.
- The book we are studying today is written as a love poem or a drama. There are three main characters in this book: the Shulamite girl who tends the vineyard, the shepherd boy, and King Solomon. No one has a name, but King Solomon. The story line is that both the shepherd boy and King Solomon love the Shulamite girl. The young Shulamite girl loves the shepherd boy, but she is being wooed by the King, who has much wealth, everything to offer, is attracted by the girl's beauty, but also has other wives. In the end, the Shulamite girl and the shepherd boy end up together (6:13). A happy ending!
- The lessons we learn from this love story are:
- True love cannot be rushed (2:5), forced (2:7) or bought (8:7).
- A good foundation for marriage is a good friendship (5:16).
- True love must be more than infatuation or loving someone because they are "beautiful." True love is a deeper kind of love that lasts until death. The ones who the students marry should always be ones who love the LORD and will commit to each other for their whole lives. True love is best!
ACTIVITY: The Three Main Characters Of The Song Of Solomon
Materials needed: 12" x 18" tan construction paper, crayons.
- Hand out paper.
- Fold the top edge 2" down.
- Fold another 2" down from the top.
- Unfold paper.
- Fold paper in thirds.
- Unfold paper.
- Draw on fold lines, except inside the top box. (see picture).
- In the top box, write "The Song Of Solomon."
- On the second line, write "The Shulamite Girl" in the first box. (see picture).
- On the second line, write "The Shepherd Boy" in the second box.
- On the third line, write "King Solomon" in the thrid box.
- Under each title, draw a picture of the beautiful Shulamite girl, the shepherd boy, and King Solomon.
- Draw backgrounds of vineyard, sheep, and pillars in the appropriate boxes.
- Draw hearts in the boxes of the people who truly love each other.