VERSES: Matthew 19:27-30
MEMORY VERSE: Matthew 19:30 "But many that are first shall be last; and the last shall be first."
BOOK TO REMEMBER: Ezra. Write "Ezra" on small slips of paper and hand out to the students at the end of class, so they can take it home to memorize. It is good to memorize the books of the Bible. If students learn them when they are young, they will remember them longer.
PRAYER: May we ever be humble and never strive to exalt ourselves.
SPECIAL SONG: The B-I-B-L-E (see February 2014 - Songs We Sing In Bible Class #3.). The Books Of The Old Testament (see March 2014 - Songs We Sing In Bible Class #3 on this blog).
VISUAL AID: Large Activity (see below under Activity)
- Since this is one of the shorter lesson, perhaps more time could be given to memorizing the Books of the Old Testament and singing a few more songs either at the beginning or at the end of the class.
- There was a cost to being one of Jesus' disciples. When Jesus called Peter, Andrew, James, John, Philip, Thomas, Matthew, Bartholomew, James the less, Simon, Thaddeus, and Judas by saying, "Come, follow me," they left everything behind. They left their mothers and fathers, their families, their homes, their hometowns, many comforts they had enjoyed, their jobs, everything!
- One day, Peter asked Jesus, "We have left everything to follow you. Will there be anything for us?" Jesus answered with a wonderful answer! He told Peter and the other disciples "Truly, I say to you, at the time when the Son of Man sits on the throne of His glory, those of you who have followed me shall also sit upon twelve thrones and will judge the twelve tribes of Israel." This was a promise that Jesus gave His disciples for following Him.
- Jesus also went on to say that everyone who had given up their houses, or family, or mother, or father, or brothers, or sisters, or wives, or children, or lands for His sake or on Jesus' behalf, would inherit eternal life.
- Jesus said that the first shall be last and the last shall be first. What did Jesus mean when He said that? He was saying that the one who follows Him will serve others, help others, and put others' needs before their own needs. If those who love Him chose to serve others in this life, then they will reap a great reward in the life to come! The one who chooses to be first in this eathlly life will be last in the spiritual life. The one who serves others now on earth will be first in the heavenly life.
- Serving others is how Jesus spent His life and gave the ultimate sacrifice for His friends by dying for their sins. If Jesus is our example and the one whom we serve, serving others will be a goal in this life for us. How can we serve others? Discuss.
Materials needed: 8.5" x 11" transparency or piece of clear lamination, scraps of different colors of construction paper, 3" x 12" light blue construction paper, crayons, scissors, marker, glue, staple and staplers.
- Hand out scraps of paper.
- Cut four different colored scraps into 1" x 2" rectangles. These are the shirts.
- Cut two matching 1/2" x 2" rectangles. These are the arms.
- Glue one arm on each side of the shirt.
- Cut eight 1" x 2" rectangles out of more scrap. These are the pants legs.
- Glue two pants legs at the bottom of the shirts.
- Cut four 1 1/2" circles out of tan scrap. These are the four heads.
- Being careful witch direction the faces are drawn, draw one eye, one nose, one mouth, one ear, and hair on each side of the circle. (The eyes should not be directly behind each other. If one face is going in the opposite direction from the other side of the face, it is a good thing.)
- Cut eight small ovals out of scrap. These are the shoes.
- Glue shoes at the bottom of each pants leg.
- Hand out transparency.
- Lightly glue the four people traveling in one direction. Take a look on the other side of the transparency to make sure everyone is traveling the same way.
- Hand out light blue paper.
- Fold light blue paper in half, lengthwise.
- On one side of the light blue paper, write "The first will be last..."
- On the other side of the light blue paper, write "and the last will be first." and "Luke 19:27-30."
- Place folded light blue paper over the top of the transparency.
- Staple light blue paper in place.
- The idea of this project is on one side of the transparency, the "first" person is first in line; however, when the transparency is flipped over to the other side, "the first" is last.