VERSES: Mark 12:41-44; Luke 21:1-4
MEMORY VERSE: Mark 12:42. "And there came a certain poor widow, and she threw in two mites..."
BOOK TO REMEMBER: Review all the Old Testament books that have been memorized so far from Genesis to the Song of Solomon.
PRAYER: Let us always give as much as we can to the Lord and pray that it is used to spread the gospel around the world. May we do the best that we can with what we have.
SPECIAL SONG: How Do Christians Worship God? (see May 2014 - Songs We Sing In Bible Class #5 on this blog. Click on orange circle to hear tune.)
VISUAL AID: Large Activity (see below under Activity)
- Before Jesus left the temple, He sat close by the treasury or offering box where people were coming by to put in their money. He noticed that many rich people were putting in a lot of money, but then He saw a poor widow who put in only two small copper coins called mites. They were not worth much, in fact they were smallest of all the coins at that time, yet Jesus noticed.
- Jesus called His disciples over to Him and said, "Truly, I say that this poor widow has put more into the offering box than anyone here. The rich people had very much, but gave very little. This poor widow, even though she had very little, gave all that she had."
- Two small coins are not very much, but when that is all that you have, it is a great gift.
- Jesus noticed, not only the rich people, but He noticed a poor widow. Sometimes we don't think that it matters what we are doing because we don't think anyone notices. Jesus notices and He cares.
- There is a quotation that is not found in the Bible that says, "Give until it hurts." The poor widow gave a great gift because she sacrificed much. Is there something else she could have done with her two mites? Of course, but she gave all that she could which was everything on which she had to live. Even when we are very poor, there is always something we can give or something we can do for the Lord.
Materials needed: 9" x 12" tan construction paper, scrap of gold paper, scissors, marker, tape.
- Hand out tan paper.
- Fold paper in half.
- Fold paper in half again.
- Not unfolding paper yet, fold 2" on each side.
- Unfold paper completely.
- Cut paper on sides only.
- Fold top panel and third panel.
- Fold up bottom edge.
- Tape to secure.
- Fold up bottom again.
- Tape to secure. This is the bottom of the box.
- Tape side flaps to secure. At this point, the paper should look like a box with an open lid.
- Write "The Widow's Mites" and "Mark 12:41-44" on top of box lid.
- Trim remaining sides of lid..
- Tuck top sides inside bottom of box.
- Hand out gold scrap paper.
- Cut out two small circles. These are the widow's mites.
- Place mites in box.
- Take home.