VERSES: Matthew 5:14-16
MEMORY VERSE: Matthew 5:14 "Ye are the light of the world..."
BOOK TO REMEMBER: Titus. Write "Titus" on small slips of paper to hand out at the end of class, so the students may take the papers home to memorize this next book of the New Testament. Because the Activity is a short one, perhaps the Bible teacher and the class could review the Books of the Old and New Testament books by singing the songs, The Books of the Old Testament and The Books of the New Testament (see March - Songs We Sing In Bible Class #3).
PRAYER: Pray that we will be light that others in darkness see. May we shine our lights by doing good works.
SPECIAL SONG: This Little Light Of Mine (see March - Songs We Sing In Bible Class #3 on this blog. Click on orange circle to hear the tune to this song.)
VISUAL AID: Draw a city on a hill on the whiteboard or the blackboard. Then, as you tell the story, draw a candle, then draw a basket over the candle, put an 'X' on the basket and then draw a candle on a candlestick.
- Jesus continued preaching and teaching the people who were listening to Him as He preached on the mountain. He taught the people not only how to be happy in life and to make others happy, but also taught His followers how they should present themselves or behave themselves.
- Jesus told His disciples that they were the light of the world. In a world of darkness and sin, the ones who were to be like the stars at night were His followers. Jesus said that a city that is built on a hill cannot be hidden. People do not light a candle and put it under a basket. How could anyone see with a basket over the light? No, they light a candle and put it on a candlestick, so that everyone in the house can see in the dark. Light makes the darkness go away.
- How do we let our lights shine? Jesus said that everyone should let their lights shine before others by letting them see the good things that we are doing and they will glorify God. Our lights are the good deeds that we do. Ones who follow Jesus should be known by the love and kindness they show to others.
- When we do something good, people will notice that we are different from the world who usually does things only for themselves. The ones who follow Jesus show others their Father in heaven by helping others.
"Older Student" Tips:
- Light and darkness cannot be in the same room; light will always dispel or eliminate darkness.
Materials needed: empty toilet paper roll, 11" x 17" yellow tissue paper, 17" x 22" purple tissue paper, scissors, marker.
- Hand out a empty toilet paper roll.
- Hand out purple tissue.
- Fold full purple tissue paper in half, and in half again.
- Place toilet paper roll in the middle of the purple paper and roll up.
- Stuff each end of excess purple paper inside toilet paper roll. This is the candle.
- Hand out yellow tissue.
- Smooth out yellow paper on table.
- Grab middle of yellow paper and shake.
- Stuff yellow tissue inside one end of toilet paper. This is the flame.
- Write "Ye are the light of the world..." and "Matthew 5:14" on the purple tissue.