VERSES: Matthew 6:19-34
MEMORY VERSE: Matthew 6:21 "For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also."
BOOK TO REMEMBER: Philemon. Write "Philemon" on small slips of paper to hand out at the end of class, so the students may take the papers home to memorize this next book of the New Testament.
PRAYER: Pray that we will all seek spiritual things, knowing that when we do, God will give us the physical things that we need.
SPECIAL SONG: Jesus Loves The Little Children (see February - Songs We Sing In Bible Class #2 on this blog. Click orange circle for tune.)
VISUAL AID: Pictures of moths, rusted things, robbers, birds, lilies, grass, heart.
- During Jesus' sermon on the mountain where many people were gathered around Him to hear His preaching and His teaching, Jesus told the listeners not to gather treasures like money, fine homes, and expensive trinkets while here on this earth because they would not last. Moths might make their homes in costly fabric and eat it up or, perhaps, the weather might make beautiful things rust, or even thieves and robbers might break in and steal treasures. Instead, Jesus told the people to lay up treasures up in heaven, not on the earth. He said where their treasure was, that would be where their hearts would be.
- Jesus said that no one could serve two masters. A person would chose to love one and hate the other. He said no one could serve God and riches.
- Some people worry a lot. They worry about having enough food or enough to drink. Jesus also said not to worry about what we would eat or drink or what we would wear in this life. Then He mentioned that the birds do not plant food, or gather food and store it in barns, yet God feeds them. Jesus said man was much better than the birds, meaning that God would take care of man, too.
- Jesus asked if anyone could add an inch to his height just by thinking or worrying about it. The answer was that they could not. Worrying does not make things happen.
- Jesus said not to worry about clothes. He said that the lilies in the field did not work, yet they were beautiful. He said that if God clothed the grass of the field, surely He would provide clothes for people.
- Jesus told His disciples not to worry about what they would eat or drink or wear because the Gentiles, or people who did not obey God, worried about such things. God knew just what they needed just as He knows what we need. The only thing we need to do is put God first in everything we do and He will provide for us. God is in control and His Will will be done.
"Older Student" Tips:
- Reassure that God is in control, He knows the future, and His Will will be done. We only need to trust Him and not worry if we are obeying Him. How do we know what He wants us to do? We read the Bible and His Word will teach us what pleases Him. God has and always will provide for those who love Him and do His Will.
- Prayer helps , but worry does does not.
ACTIVITY: Where is our treasure?
Materials needed: 6" x 9" black construction paper, 5" x 8" white construction paper, glue, red and black crayon, white crayon or marker, red heart sticker.
- Hand out black paper.
- Fold black paper in half like a book.
- Hand out white paper.
- Fold white paper in half like a book.
- Unfold black paper,
- Unfold white paper.
- Insert white paper inside black paper.
- Glue white paper ON ONE SIDE ONLY of black paper, otherwise, the white page will not open to the back of the book.
- When opened up and writing on both sides of white paper, write in red "Matthew 6:21" and, in black, write "For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also." (see picture)
- Turn the white page and place red heart sticker on back of white page like it is hiding in the Bible. (see picture)
- Fold book.
- Write "Holy Bible" on front of black folded paper.