VERSES: Matthew 13:44
MEMORY VERSE: Matthew 13:44 "Again, the kingdom of heaven is like unto a treasure in a field..."
BOOK TO REMEMBER: Review all 27 books of the New Testament. Perhaps, it would help to sing The Books Of The New Testament (see March - Songs We Sing In Bible Class #3. Click on orange circle to hear tune.)
PRAYER: Pray that we will appreciate the value of the church and love it with all of our hearts.
SPECIAL SONG: Jesus Taught By Parable And Miracle (see March - Songs We Sing In Bible Class #4 on this blog. Click on orange circle to hear tune.)
VISUAL AID: Draw a picture of a treasure on the whiteboard or chalkboard, or, if you have a wooden box and many shiny, gold pieces and jewels, use it as a visual aid.
- We have studied about many parables that Jesus taught the people. We have learned about the parables of the rich fool, the sower, the mustard seed, the tares, and the leaven. (Since this is a very short lesson, the Bible teacher may want to take time to review the parables learned so far.) We have noticed that parables were like a secret code, teaching the people all about the kingdom of heaven and how to live in a pleasing way to God. But the people who were listening to Jesus, trying to catch Him saying something bad, had a hard time finding out what He was teaching because Jesus taught the people using simple things, such as farming, barns, seeds, weeds, and cooking! Parables had a secret meaning! Sometimes Jesus' disciples would ask Jesus to tell them what the parables meant, but other times, they could figure out what He was teaching.
- This time, Jesus told a very short parable about a treasure. Do we like treasures? Of course, we do! A treasure is something very valuable and sometimes it is hidden in a secret spot! Jesus taught the people that the kingdom of heaven was like a man finding a treasure that was hidden in a field. When the man found the treasure, he hid it again, and with a happy heart, went and sold everything he had and bought the field, so the treasure would be his.
- What does this parable mean? Jesus was teaching that the kingdom of heaven is so valuable that a person should do anything and give up everything to own it. The church is this kingdom of heaven and Jesus taught that the church was as valuable as a treasure hidden in a field. We must sacrifice all that we have to be part of the church because its value is without measure!
- Discuss what a person might need to sacrifice or give up to become part of the church. (Family, friends, wealth, etc.)
ACTIVITY: Parable of the Treasure
Materials needed: two 3" x 3" brown pieces of construction paper, 2" x 2" piece of gold shiny paper, tape, scissors, marker.
- Hand out two brown pieces of paper.
- Fold up 1/2" on each side on each piece of brown paper.
- Cut one slit on each corner of each brown paper.
- Fold each corner of each brown paper to form a box.
- Secure with tape.
- Hand out gold paper.
- Write "The kingdom of heaven is like a treasure.." and "Matthew 13:44" on the gold paper.
- Secure gold paper inside the smallest box with tape.
- Place larger brown box inside one side of smaller brown box like a lid that is sticking up. (see picture).